PTPL holds online and in-person
conferences, courses, webinars, email discussions and other events to enable
its members to receive continuing education, grow professionally and build
PTPL is dedicated to providing a
harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity
and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body
size, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, or economic status. We do not
tolerate the harassment of PTPL members and others who participate in PTPL
conferences, events, meetings, conference sponsored social activities and
online spaces in any form. Sexual language and imagery are not appropriate for
any venue, including talks, workshops, receptions, Twitter and other online
media, unless it is specifically relevant to the research being presented.
Conference participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled
from the conference without a refund at the discretion of the conference
Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- Verbal comments that reinforce social structures of domination related to gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, national origin, or religion (or lack thereof)
- Sexual images in public spaces (unless it is specifically relevant to the research being presented)
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following
- Harassing photography or recording
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Inappropriate or unwelcome physical contact
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Action or language that makes other participants feel unwelcome or unsafe
- Disrespectful or disruptive behavior
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior
- Speakers are asked to frame discussions as openly and inclusively as possible and to be aware of how language or images may be perceived by others.
All participants are expected to observe
these rules and behaviors in all online events, including webinars, online
courses, and email discussion.
asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
presenters, and exhibitors are also subject to the code of conduct.
- If a
participant engages in harassing behavior, PTPL retains the right to take any
actions to keep the conference a welcoming environment for all participants.
This includes warning the offender or expelling the offender from the
conference with no refund.
- PTPL may take
action to redress anything designed to, or with the clear impact of, disrupting
the conference or making the environment hostile for any participants.
participants are expected to respect this policy at all conference venues and
conference-related social activities.
and/or persistent violations may result in inability to attend future
conferences or ability to participate in PTPL activities. Persons who have been
expelled or denied access may appeal to the PTPL Board.
termination of a talk that violates the policy.
publishing the video or slides of a talk that violated the policy.
- Not allowing a
speaker who violated the policy to give further talks at the event.
that the harasser immediately leave the event and not return.
- Banning the
harasser from future events.
- Publishing an
account of the harassment.
and other code of conduct violations reduce the value of our events for
everyone. If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being
harassed, if someone makes you or anyone else feel unsafe or unwelcome, or if
you have any other concerns, please contact a member of the Board as soon as
possible. You can make a report either personally or anonymously.
- Board members
will identify themselves at the start of the conference or training. Contact
information for the Board will be available throughout the event.
incidents of any kind to the PTPL Chair.
This policy is primarily based on: