The Archives of PTPL are housed at:
American Catholic History Research Center and University Archives
101 Aquinas Hall
Catholic University of America (CUA)
Washington, DC 20064
Potomac Technical Processing Librarians. Collection. 1923-2011. 2 1/2 feet; 2 boxes. Donor: PTPL, 1998-2014.
This organization was originally named the Maryland, Virginia, and District of Columbia Regional Group of Catalogers and Classifiers and has had its current name since 1960. The impetus for formation was a rally of catalogers, sponsored by the American Library Association (ALA), who held a dinner in Washington in 1923. There is no record of that meeting nor any minutes of meetings until 1933. The object was to address professional problems, to promote social interaction among the membership, and to cooperate with ALA in furthering the interests of the profession. The officers are a Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Secretary, and Treasurer. These officers, together with the immediate past Chairman comprise the Executive Committee. The Advisory Council consists of the Executive Committee and two representatives from each region. The Advisory Council is charged with assisting the Executive Committee in planning the annual meeting and its program.
Records on deposit focus on the annual meeting and include correspondence, summaries of minutes, reports, constitutions, organizational charts, conference programs and VHS video tapes. Many of the meetings have dealt with issues such as subject headings, corporate entries, United Nations headings, and entry under pseudonym versus real name. A recurring topic is each new edition of Dewey.